1.) NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2.) Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
3.) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
4.) FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
5.) Destiny: The Taken King (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
6.) Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
7.) Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
8.) Mad Max (PS4, Xbox One)
9.) NHL 16 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
10.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
NBA, NFL games have big month as hardware sputters
Game revenues took a beating last month as gamers spent less on hardware, but it’s likely that many consumers are just waiting for those hot holiday deals at this point.
Customers spent $1.01 billion on new games and hardware at United States retailers in September, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. That’s down 9 percent from $1.10 billion last year. Both hardware and software suffered some erosion, and only accessories (which includes interactive toys like Amiibo and Skylanders) grew.
Specifically, hardware sales were down 27 percent from $431.2 million to $313.5 million. Game sales dropped 3 percent from $480.6 million to $465.6 million. Both hardware and software were going to have a tough comparison as Activision released Destiny during September 2014, and that game is widely recognized with convincing a large number of people to upgrade to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
But it’s not all bad news. Hardware sales are trending up when you look at the month-over-month numbers, according to NPD analyst Liam Callahan.
“The majority of hardware platforms increased their sales from August 2015 to September 2015 when comparing sales on a per week basis,” said Callahan. “All eighth generation consoles experienced double-digit growth when comparing sales on a per-week basis.”
Now, before we get into the software chart, a warning: the NPD numbers only track new games sold at U.S. retailers. That means no digital and no used games. Also, nothing from the huge mobile market. With all that in mind, it’s best to treat all of this data as an insightful glimpse into a much more dynamic ecosystem.
Well, September sure was interesting.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was easily the biggest release in terms of hype, but it couldn’t outsell Madden NFL 16 or NBA 2K16. This is especially odd considering Madden debuted in August and NBA 2K16 didn’t release until the end of September as opposed to Metal Gear’s September 1 launch date.
You might think that the Metal Gear Solid V bundle had a big effect on its sales, since pack-in games don’t count on the above chart, but that deal was only available in the U.K. It’s possible that NBA 2K16 and Madden are simply that popular.
Other big September releases include Destiny: The Taken King, FIFA 16, Super Mario Maker, Mad Max, and NHL 16.
The soccer and hockey games also had strong debut months at No. 4 and No. 9, respectively. FIFA even managed to outsell Destiny — although, again, it’s possible that bundles and digital are affecting those results.
Super Mario Maker once again shows that power of a first-party Nintendo game. The Wii U release is the only single-platform exclusive to make the top 10, which is a rare feat these days.
We’ve asked the hardware manufacturers for the data about their systems, and most declined to provide anything specific. But it’s obvious, according to the NPD, that Xbox One and PS4 are both still selling extraordinarily well.
“After 23 months on the market, combined PS4 and Xbox One sales are 40 percent higher than the combined 23 month totals for PS3 and 360,” said Callahan.
Even with the steep year-over-year decline, The NPD Group doesn’t sound like anyone should have cause for concern.
“September 2015 hardware sales dropped by 23 percent due to a difficult comparison to the strong sales in September 2014, which were supported by the launch of Activision’s Destiny,” said Callahan.
But the analyst did point out that, for once, it wasn’t just the Xbox 360 and PS3 that experienced big drops. Even the Xbox One and PS4 didn’t sell as well as last year.
Sony’s winning streak continued last month.
The company has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 outsold its Xbox One and Wii U competition in the U.S. last month, according to data from industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. PS4 has now outsold Xbox One every month of 2015 except for April, and Sony is looking to maintain that momentum as we head into holidays.
November and December are easily the two most important months of the year for both gaming hardware and software, and Sony cut the price of the base PS4 from $400 to $350 to compete with the Xbox One’s $350 price.
- PS4 dominantan u prodaji softvera i hardvera ( da bumo videli za listopad kak će bit kad izlazi Halo 5 ).
- PS4 i Xbone doživjeli pad u prodaji hardvera naspram rujna 2014. za 27%, dok je Wii U doživio porast od 110% naspram prošlog mjeseca
- nakon 23 mjeseca na tržištu u US, PS4 i Xbone se prodaju 40% bolje od PS3 i X360 za isto provedeno vrijeme
- PSN imao najbolji mjesec dosada, zahvaljujući Taken Kingu : http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/19/september-was-the-playstation-stores-highest-grossing-month-ever/
- NBA 2K je postao sjajna sportska franšiza, najveća ikada na US teritoriju https://twitter.com/firstadopter/status/656238344242884608, 2k16 više od 1.1 mil. primjeraka ( 52% prodaje za PS4, 39% za Xbone )
- ljuti konkurent 2K16, NBA Live 16 prodao se u 8.3k ( LOL )
- slično je i sa prodajom nogomethih igara. Ipak je manji jaz FIFA 16 prodala se u manje od 650k ( 45% PS4, 33% Xbone ), dok je PES 2016 ( koji je dobio bolje kritike ) prodao se u 15k
- Zadnji put da se neka utrka dohvatila Top 10 je Forza 4, dakle, Forza 6 je prilično loše prošla - 195k sa bundleovima ( ovaj serijal treba odmor )
- MGS V nije probio milijun, manje od 800k ( 69% PS4, 23% Xbone )
- čudne japanske igre Hatsune Miku i Senran Kagura nešto su se prodale u SAD-u ( Miku 24k, Senran ~10k ), Persona and Despair prodala se u 24k, Danganronpa ( ne znam koja ) u 10k
- glavni PS4 bundle za rujan u US bio je The Taken King bundle. Destiny : TTK preko 700k, samostalno Destiny : TTK se bolje prodao na Xboneu 42% ( 227k ) naspram 40% za PS4 ( 216k ), PS4 bundle + retail verzija zajedno je više od Xbonea ( nešto manje od 400k ) + to što se Taken King suludo skidao sa PSN-a. Link gore.
- ke se tiče Nintenda, Mario Maker oko 445k
PS4 - ~340K LTD +9.05mil.
XB1 - ~280K LTD +8.1mil.
3DS - ~120K
WIU - ~85K LTD +4.2 mil.
Nintendo PR :
The ability to create, play and share your own unique Super Mario levels was a dream 30 years in the making for Mario fans. Turns out it was also a great reason to jump into the Wii U experience. The Super Mario Maker game for the Wii U console launched in the U.S. on Sept. 11 and sold nearly 445,000 combined units in its first three weeks (Sept. 11, 2015 – Oct. 3, 2015), bringing the lifetime total to more than 500,000 combined units in the U.S. alone (Sept. 11 – Oct. 19, 2015). Perhaps the biggest impact however has been on hardware sales. For the full month of September, sales of Wii U hardware in the United States increased by nearly 110 percent over sales in August. Software sells hardware and no one sells hardware like Mario.
Other Nintendo highlights from September include:
Through the first nine months of 2015, sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware have increased by nearly 25 percent over the same time frame in 2014.
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer for the Nintendo 3DS system launched on Sept. 25 and sold nearly 115,000 total units in its first week on the market.
Microsoft PR :
Sony PR :
“As we kick off the holiday season, we would like to take a moment to thank fans for making PlayStation 4 the best-selling console and #1 in software sales in September. PlayStation 4 was the number one console for NBA 2K16, Madden NFL 16, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and FIFA 16. Including the highly successful limited edition console bundle, PS4 also led retail sales for Destiny: The Taken King.”
“It was also a very strong month for PlayStation Network with September being the highest grossing month in PlayStation Store history. From PlayStation exclusives like the recently launched Uncharted Collection to partnerships with Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Star Wars Battlefront, we are committed to our community and to making PlayStation the best place to play this holiday.”